Social Awkwardness Quiz (Updated)
Below is an actual situation I encountered on Saturday night. Your job is to suggest the appropriate action to be taken. I will update later what my actual action was. Here we go....
On Saturday night, my friend and co-worker, Mike, was hosting a drinking event at a local bar. I had told him that I would stop by for a drink or two and planned on coming around 9pm. Well, Mike called me around 4 pm and asked for a favor. He said he had a buddy coming into town (via airplane) around 8 pm and needed someone to pick him up, because Mike would already be at the bar hosting the event. I obliged, and around 8:15 pm I arrived at Willard Airport in Savoy, IL amidst a rain shower.
I waited for a few minutes, then a young man approached my car (he was told to look for a Kia Sephia). I rolled down the window, asked if he was Mike's friend. He said that he was and that his name was Doug.
So Doug got in the car, and we proceeded to the local bar. The conversation in the car went as expected as pleasantries were exchanged and minimal silence occurred. We then got to the parking lot a couple blocks away from the bar and I pulled into a parking spot.
I was about to turn the car off when Doug commented, "Oh, I think I want to change." I correctly and immediately interpreted that he meant that he had to change all his clothes (he had a suitcase with him) and not just his shirt. If he just wanted to change his shirt, he would have said "Oh, I think I want to put on a different shirt."
Anyway, I looked down the street through the rain and remarked, "OK, I guess we can drive around and try to find a place."
"Oh, I'll just change in the car," Doug replied.
Blam. Social awkwardness. Before me was the possibility that a complete stranger would proceed to take off their clothes and put different ones on in my car with me present. Consider the factors: the rain, the Kia Sephia, a suitcase, and of course Doug.
What is the correct response to this situation?
My action was to reply by stuttering, "Oh....uh...ok...sure." I then quickly got out my cellphone and told Doug that I had to make a call. I made a single, short cellphone call in the pouring rain, then proceeded to wait for 3.5 minutes in the pouring rain until Doug was finished (no shelter was within 100 yards). Awesome.

10 Comments:
I think you've gotta park, get out and wait under a rain-blocking device, and then lock the car when he is done. If this requires a certain amount of extra back-and-forth in the rain, so be it. The situation requires it.
I would have said "ok, can you lock up when you're done? I'm going to head to the bar...it's two blocks that way" and then exited before he had a chance to insist that you stay and watch and/or help.
Teresa
I bet you said a couple "uh's" and touched your face a few times.
I think you tell him, ok...as long as no skin touches your seat. then take westy's advice and wait in a dry place far from view of the car. If need be leave the car unlocked, afterall, it's a Kia.
That's awkward all right... not sure what I'd do. Probably what Westy said. I probably wouldn't have the guts to say "no skin touches your seat," although that probably would have been appropriate to say.
Your response:
"OOOohhh, this will be fun!", with a simultaneous upper-thigh grab of Doug.
(End of entire situation. The best defense is a good offense.)
>>I would have said "ok, can you lock up when you're done?<<
i am with teresa on this one. i would hand him the keys and say bring them to me when your done.
it would be kind of funny though, if you just turned your back and said, "o.k. go ahead." and then asked if he was done every couple of seconds. it would add to the atmosphere too if you put meatloaf's "i'd do anything for love (but i won't do that)" on the radio.
I would have told him that it was totally fine if he wanted to change in my car. And then ask him if I could change into the outfit that he is taking off.
Then I would have shot him.
But did you touch your face? I'm sure you did. I can picture it.
Teresa
Yeah, I totally touched my face. Well done.
Are you a man or an amoeba? Point him to the back seat, where there's more room, and let him do his thing. Make your phone call, peek in the mirror if that's your thing, and wait 'til he's done.
EOS (end of story)
,Mike
Post a Comment
<< Home