Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Crunch Time in the Cubicles

You know when the 4th quarter starts in a football game (usually high school and college games, sometimes pro games) and a bunch of the players on the sidelines raise a hand with four fingers showing, symbolizing that the 4th quarter is there and it's time to step it up. I've always been jealous of the unity in the raised four fingers, in the adrenaline rush of moments of such intensity. I never have had the opportunity to find moments to raise my hand for special moments. Finally, I've found my moments.

I'm starting a habit of walking around to a few choice co-workers at 4 pm on a workday and without saying a word, I raise my arm with four fingers raised to signal the closing hours of our workday. One more hour (or so) to finish that last design document, to compile our code, to test one more fix, to beat Nokia. One more hour (or so) until our day is over. One more hour (or so) until we hit the locker room of life.

Four fingers raised. Four-ever.

6 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nokia sucks. It's Samsung that takes the cake. Not to mention, once Klish (Motorola employee) comes back from China with the Bird Flu, we can finally have concrete evidence (the smoking gun, if you will) that Motorola hates America and is slowly destroying it.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Greg McConnell said...

Mr. Sheets, another idea would be to gather these "few choice co-workers" in a circle in the morning and ask, "What time is it?" and have them yell back, "Work time! HOOH!"

A similar strategy worked well for the Chicago Bulls during their glory years.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Oneway the Herald said...

Four fingers in the air with the thumb tucked is a gang sign, bensheets, so please be careful where you throw that up.

I'll bet that you make your work environment more enjoyable. That's a great skill to acquire.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger J.T. - said...

Oh yet another brilliant idea from the brilliant mind of Sheets. So subtle, yet so beautiful and elegant.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger rachymayes said...

what's a christmas-gram I want one!!!!! I love you bensheets!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger J.T. - said...

Bensheets? Where have you gone?
Ben? I love TJ Ford.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Christmas Gift Certficates